Dinnertime meets the EASIEST meal with this super quick vegetarian burrito bowl that feeds a family and works well on busy evenings. It is a match for all Mexican dish lovers, and in our home we always devour the entire thing!
Who said burritos have to be in a tortilla? I used to love getting a vegetarian burrito bowl from Chipotle, so now I make them easily at home with all my favorite healthy fajita ingredients without the flour. I like to make a large batch of cooked rice or quinoa in the beginning of the week and store it in the fridge for convenient dinners. This makes nights where we have Mexican food or roasted vegetables a no brainer because I can prep the main entrée and serve it with my already prepared side of rice.
WHY THIS EASY VEGETARIAN AND VEGAN BURRITO BOWL IS SO AWESOME!
+ Plant-based gluten-free and vegan ingredients! This super quick 30-minute vegetarian burrito bowl encompasses all the delicious flavors of your favorite Mexican burrito without the tortilla using only plants.
+ Very versatile and easy dinner recipe! Enjoy this vegetarian Mexican bowl over topped with guacamole, salsa, cheese, and sour cream if you please. Or add it over lettuce greens like this vegetarian taco salad bowl, or sprinkled (after it is made or use leftovers) baked on top of tortilla chips for burrito nachos- yep that is a thing too!
+ These vegetarian burrito bowl ingredients are nourishing! This burrito bowl is part of a healthy plant-based diet. Plant-based diets may help the odds by reducing heart disease, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol and regulating sugar levels. Beans, quinoa, legumes, seeds and nuts are all great ways to get vegetarian protein without consuming animal fats. Cilantro is an excellent herb that helps regulate and rid toxins from storing up in the body. Onions and red bell peppers have antioxidant properties and may help prevent cancer. Black beans are rich in fiber, high in protein and iron, and combined with rice they both contain all the essential amino acids (proteins to support the body, digestion, and mental functions).
WHAT INGREDIENTS GO INTO THIS RECIPE
- Black beans
- Brown or white rice
- Colorful bell peppers such as red, orange, yellow and you can also add green bell peppers
- Green and white onion
- Fresh Limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE A BURRITO BOWL
- First start with making the rice if you do not have any precooked on-hand (don’t worry, most of us don’t!). Cook the rice as instructed on the package, or as instructed in the recipe card by covering and simmering for about 20 minutes in water until the rice is cooked and fluffy. Then fluff with a fork.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and gently heat them in a small saucepan.
- While the rice cooks cut the peppers and onions into thin slices. For the red bell pepper, cut of the top and remove the inside seeded area then give it a good rinse to get any other seeds off. Then slice the pepper in half (lengthwise) and into slices. For the onion, slice of the top and peel off the skin. Cut it in half for a large onion then slice each half into thin slices. If the onion is smaller you can just slice it making thin rings.
- Sautee the onions and peppers for about 10 minutes in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- While the peppers and onions cook, slice up the toppings such as green onions and cilantro. Slice the lime into wedges or pretty coin circles and slice the avocado.
- Now we are ready to start assembling our vegetarian burrito bowl! Layer one side of the bowl with cooked rice and the other with black beans. Top with the cooked red peppers and onion then garnish with avocado, onion, lime juice and a favorite salsa!
BURRITO BOWL TOPPINGS
In addition to the ingredients listed in the recipe card, you can also top this vegetarian burrito bowl with cheese, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, homemade guacamole, fresh homemade salsa, tomatillo salsa, and even this AWESOME avocado sauce (we use this one all the time for all kinds of tacos!). We also love to serve this veggie bowl with a side of my healthy low-fat baked tortilla chips.
These vegetarian bowls are delicious and incredibly healthy! You can add any cheese, Greek yogurt, or sour cream if you would like, or keep them as a vegan burrito bowl if you are sensitive to dairy and do not eat animal products.
RELATED RECIPES TO ENJOY
If you make this vegetarian burrito bowl recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations and share it! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER and tag me to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Vegetarian Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers or 1 red and 1 green
- 1 onion
- 3 green onions diced, green parts only
- cilantro chopped
- 1 lime slice or squeezed for garnish
- 1 avocado
- salt and pepper
Cook the rice according to package instructions, usually about 20 minutes covered in water.
Drain and rinse the beans and gently heat in a small saucepan. Turn the heat off when warmed slightly and cover.
Slice off the ends of the red bell peppers. Remove the seeds inside and rinse off to get any extra seeds out. Slice into thin slices lengthwise. Slice off the top of the onion and peel away the skin. Cut in half for a large onion then into thin slices. If the onion is smaller you can cut it into thin rings without halving it first.
In a large sautee pan add the olive oil, red bell peppers and onions. Turn the heat to medium high and heat for 10 minutes until the onions become translucent and mixing throughout the cooking process so it cooks evenly and does not burn. If it starts to burn turn the heat down slightly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
While the onions and rice cook chop the rest of the ingredients: green onions, cilantro, avocado and slice the lemons into wedges or rings.
When the rice and peppers are finished cooking assemble a large serving bowl or plate with half of the rice on one side and the beans on the other side. Top in the center with the cooked peppers and onions. Garnish with green onions, fresh cilantro, avocado and a splash of lime. Add salsa or any other toppings of choice. Add any salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional to add the black beans into the rice once the rice is finished cooking simply mix the drained and rinsed beans in to warm.
- In addition to the ingredients listed in the recipe card, you can also top this vegetarian burrito bowl with cheese, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, homemade guacamole, fresh homemade salsa, tomatillo salsa, and even this AWESOME avocado sauce (we use this one all the time for all kinds of tacos!). We also love to serve this veggie bowl with a side of my healthy low-fat baked tortilla chips.