Two bite brownies with strawberries are a healthier treat, with no refined sugar! Make this easy recipe using a gluten free or grain free brownie mix.
Disclosure: Lindsay Cotter is a certified nutrition specialist, and does not have a medical degree. The information in this post comes from reliable medical resources, but should not be taken as medical advice. We recommend that you consult with your doctor before starting any new eating program or making changes to your diet.
Hey there! I’m partnering with Bob’s Red Mill to bring you this brownie balls recipe. I use their products because I know they are handled and manufactured in a dedicated gluten free facility. I appreciate your support of the brands that help me create delicious nourishing recipes for you!
REFINED SUGAR FREE MONTH
In case you’re just joining us, we’re celebrating Valentine’s Day in a special way! This month, we’re revealing the facts about sugar, along with recipes some easy meals you can make with unrefined sugar.
Everyone deserves some sweetness now and then, right?!
But, it’s important not to let our guard down and go all-out, consuming unhealthy sugars. I will always believe that the best way to sweeten foods is by using NATURAL, unrefined sugars.
One EASY way to do it is by using the natural sweetness of fruit. Whether it’s using dates to make Mocha Almond Fudge or sweetening brownies with strawberries, you can feel better knowing that you’re not feeding your body toxins.
So, now that you know the best way to sweeten your desserts, I’m going to show you the easiest way to make them!
Gluten Free or Grain Free Brownies with Strawberries
This recipe is beyond easy to make, with just 5 ingredients, plus a package of Bob’s Red Mill gluten free or grain free brownie mix.
Oh, and extra bonus- this is a one-bowl brownie recipe, too! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Gluten free or Grain Free Brownie Mix – There are several on the market but I always have consistent results with the Bob’s Red Mill brand.
Bob’s has TWO different brownie mixes to choose from. The gluten free brownie mix has been around a long time and is super popular. But they recently launched a grain free brownie mix, which is ALSO refined sugar free (made with coconut sugar).
Because we’re featuring recipes with unrefined sugar this month, I think it’s the perfect time to feature it in a recipe.
- Large eggs– I haven’t tried using flax egg to make this recipe. If you want to try it, be sure to let me know how they turn out!
- Melted butter– If you need a dairy free option, plant-based butter sticks work well, as does melted coconut oil
- Strawberry jam or preserves– Be sure to check the labels and avoid any preserves that include refined sugar or processed sugar substitutes. Check out my last post for a list of sugars to avoid. Of course, you can always use homemade sugar-free strawberry jam.
- Vanilla extract
- Fresh or freeze-dried strawberries– Freeze dried fruit shouldn’t have any added sugars, but check the label to be sure.
- Dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate, for topping
If you need justification for making this recipe, I have three great reasons:
- Because chocolate and strawberry is the best Valentines dessert combo out there!
- Quick and easy! They literally take 3 steps to make and minimal ingredients. All thanks to Bob’s Red Mill Grain Free Brownie Mix.
- They are “healthyish” –> Lower in sugar, and an unrefined sugar at that! Plus, a boost of Vitamin C.
Yep, that evens out the brownie part. Haha! And they will satisfy your sweet tooth in a refreshing way.
VIDEO: How to Make Two Bite Brownie Balls
In this video, we feature the gluten free brownie mix. Other than needing a bit less cooking oil, making the recipe with the grain free mix is identical.
- Mix the batter and bake the brownies.
Just follow the directions on the package and you’re good to go! If you use one of the Bob’s Red Mill mixes, you’ll need eggs and melted butter or oil. Plus, the other ingredients shown above.
The key is to slightly UNDER BAKE the brownies so that they are crispy on top but fudgy in the middle.
- Cool, roll, and freeze. After the pan of brownies with strawberries is cool, you simple roll them into balls and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Decorate– After they have set, drizzle each two-bite brownie with dark chocolate.
If you want to take this treat one step further, blend up freeze-dried strawberries to create a dye free pink powder. Then sprinkle it on top.
They’re so pretty in pink!
When you should make these brownie balls?
RIGHT NOW! Hey, the big romantic holiday where we can justify our NEED for chocolate . Hint Hint ––> the sweetest Valentine’s day dessert ever! Enough said. Go!
Yield: This recipe creates about 25 brownie balls.
Storage: Keep them stored in the fridge for up to a week, or you can freeze them for up to 3 weeks.
Two bite brownies with strawberries are an unrefined sugar treat for Valentine’s Day. Make this easy recipe using a gluten free OR grain free brownie mix!
- 21-ounce package gluten or grain free brownie mix (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup melted butter or oil (see notes)
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam/preserves (no added sugar option)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup sliced strawberries or freeze-dried strawberries
- Extra fresh strawberry slices for topping
- 2 – 3 ounces dark chocolate to melt and coat ( you will not need to use all of it)
- 1 tsp refined coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Make brownie batter according to instructions on package. For this recipe, we’re using Bob’s Red Mill brownie mix, which requires 3 eggs and 1/2 cup melted butter (as listed above).
- Combine brownie mix, eggs, and butter in a large bowl, Mix well. Stir in the strawberry preserves. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Add a handful of sliced strawberries on top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. For fudge brownies, bake in an 8×8 pan about 40 minutes . You want the top to be crispy and inside more fudge like. If the brownies start to brown on the outside but still need baking in the middle, just cover with foil then continue to bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow brownies to cool in the pan.
- Once cool, crumble brownies into a large bowl. Feel free to mix in optional 1/2 tsp berry extract or more sliced strawberries.
- Next, with your hands, roll batter into balls about the size of a golf ball. Optional – Roll each bite in ground up freeze-dried strawberries for color/decor.
- Place a thin slice of fresh strawberry on top of each brownie bite. Fold/press each slice into the brownie ball so it seals to the top.
- Continue to do so for each bite, then place on a cookie sheet or other pan/tray.
- Place pan in freezer or fridge to set (I recommend freezer).
- While the balls are hardening in the fridge or freezer, melt dark chocolate.
- Melt 1/4 to 1/3 cup dark chocolate with 1 to 2 tsp coconut oil. Heat in microwave in 30 second intervals or on stove top until all is melted, whisking between intervals.
- Once brownies with strawberries have set, remove from fridge and drizzle dark chocolate on top of each.
- Freeze or place in fridge until ready to serve. Store in fridge or freezer for up to 3 weeks.
- Making grain free version with this brownie mix will require 1/3 cup oil.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 gluten free brownie bite
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: two bite brownies, brownies with strawberries, grain free brownie mix, unrefined sugar
See? A healthy-ish dessert bite loaded with fudgy chocolate and strawberries. Little effort to make, but lots of effort to resist.
Go bake, roll, drizzle, and take a bite!
Alright alright, you can chime in. What’s your favorite chocolate combo? Fruity? Salted? Caramel?
Do you prefer your desserts in bite sized form?
This post was originally published on February 9, 2018. The content was updated and republished on February 11, 2021.
Join Robinhood with my link and we’ll both get a free stock https://join.robinhood.com/antonih1183