This easy recipe for Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken is a crowd-pleaser.
Best of all, this easy pulled BBQ chicken recipe is low-carb and keto-friendly
You’ll have the entire family asking for seconds!
How to make pulled BBQ chicken in the Instant Pot
This is one of my favorite instant pot recipes for BBQ chicken since it takes minimal cooking time.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, Swerve Sweetener, and vinegar to make a quick homemade BBQ sauce.
You can also use your favorite BBQ sauce. See below for some low-carb suggestions.
2. Add Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings, whisk until well combined.
3. Pour into Instant Pot and add chicken broth.
4. Add chicken and turn to coat. Lay chicken on an even layer on the bottom of the pot.
5. Lock lid in place and cook for 8 minutes on High pressure.
6. Do a natural release.
7. Remove the lid of the pressure cooker. Remove the chicken with tongs and place it on a cutting board.
8. Shred the chicken with forks.
9. Store leftover shredded chicken in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
What kind of chicken should I use?
You can use either:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
Use what you have on hand, what’s on sale, or a combination of both.
What kind of sugar-free ketchup do you recommend?
Looking for a sugar-free or keto-friendly ketchup? Try these:
All are gluten-free, too.
What kind of BBQ sauce should I use?
You have the option of making a simple BBQ sauce with sugar-free ketchup, white vinegar, and Swerve Sweetener, Brown.
You also have the option of using 1 cup of your favorite sugar-free barbeque sauce instead.
What’s the best way to shred the chicken?
Make sure your barbecue chicken is cooked all the way through so it’s easily shredded.
Most people shred chicken using two kitchen forks.
Or you can place the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Then use a hand mixer on low speed to break the chicken into shreds.
You can also put the chicken in your Kitchen-Aid mixer bowl. Then use the paddle attachment to shred the cooked chicken.
Yes, you have more things to wash, but using your mixer saves time, especially when you’re shredding a large amount of hot chicken.
What do I do with the leftover liquid?
I like to keep the leftover liquid at the bottom of the pot in a container in the refrigerator for a few days after cooking the chicken.
If the shredded chicken seems too dry, you can add some of the remaining liquid.
Can you make BBQ Chicken in the slow cooker?
Yes! Try my Crockpot BBQ Chicken Recipe.
If you want Mexican-style shredded chicken, try my Easy Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe.
For a Buffalo pulled chicken recipe, try this Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders Recipe.
Serving Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Serve Instant Post BBQ chicken in:
- BBQ chicken sliders
- pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches
- in low-carb, keto-friendly salads
Serve this BBQ chicken recipe with the following keto-friendly side dishes:
- Broccoli Bacon Salad Recipe
- Cucumber Onion Salad Recipe
- Brussel Sprouts Salad with Cranberries Recipe
- Marinated Asparagus Recipe
Can I freeze Instant Pot pulled BBQ chicken?
Yes! Just divide any cooled leftovers into meal-sized portions. Then place into freezer-safe containers or Ziploc freezer bags (make sure to press the air out). Label and date the container or freezer bag.
Frozen leftovers are good in the freezer for up to 4 months.
More tips for making pressure cooker pulled BBQ chicken
Can I use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar?
Sure. It’s not quite as acidic as white vinegar, but it shouldn’t matter.
Can I add a little liquid smoke or chili powder to this recipe?
If you want a little more smoke or kick to this recipe add 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke or 1 teaspoon chili powder.
What if I don’t want to make a keto version?
Then go ahead a use real brown sugar, regular ketchup, or regular BBQ sauce to this Instant Pot BBQ chicken recipe.
Oops, I forgot to pick up the chicken broth.
You can use 1 cup water with (gluten-free) chicken bouillon.
I got a burn notice on my pressure cooker. Wipe the rim with a damp paper towel. It’s often caused by a piece of food or some sauce that may have splashed up between the rim and lid before closing.
The Best Easy Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes plus release time
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts or skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup sugar-free ketchup
- 1/2 cup Swerve Sweetener, Brown
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth (gluten-free)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ketchup, Swerve Sweetener, and vinegar to make BBQ sauce.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings, whisk until well combined.
- Pour into Instant Pot and add chicken broth.
- Add chicken and turn to coat. Lay chicken on an even layer on the bottom of the pot.
- Lock lid in place and cook for 8 minutes on High pressure.
- Do a natural release.
- Remove the lid of the pressure cooker. Remove the chicken with tongs and place it on a cutting board.
- Shred the chicken with forks to use in sandwiches or salads.
- Store leftover shredded chicken in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
This Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken recipe is low-carb and keto-friendly. Serve shredded Instant Pot BBQ chicken in salads or a sandwich.
Instant Pot Pulled BBQ Chicken, instant pot pulled chicken recipe,
instant pot pulled bbq chicken breast,
instant pot pulled chicken breast recipes,
pulled bbq chicken in instant pot,
instant pot pulled bbq chicken recipe,
recipe for instant pot pulled chicken,
keto bbq pulled chicken instant pot,
instant pot pulled, chicken thigh recipes,
instant pot pulled chicken with bbq sauce