Instant Pot spaghetti squash is a nutritious low carb and paleo pasta substitute, and it’s delicious with any sauce. Make this recipe in an IP (instant pot) an oven!
Welcome to your new favorite meal and our next recipe for nightshade free recipe month! This no pasta pasta recipe has been a go to for when I’m stuck in a rut. You see, there are times when I stand in the kitchen with the fridge door open, and just STARE at the food inside. As if some idea will come bouncing off of the almond milk and right into my brain. Sometimes those ideas come, fast like lightning. Other times, not so much. Haha.
Well my friends, this dinner idea is a keeper.
It’s a perfectly simple and easy meal that can be made with just a push of a button on the Instant Pot. As long as you are awake enough to slice a squash in half and scoop out the seeds, you’re all set to make Instant Pot spaghetti squash!
Does Instant Pot spaghetti squash taste like pasta?
Um, no. Let’s not fool ourselves. As delicious and nourishing as veggie noodles are, they do not taste like real pasta.
Actually, spaghetti squash has a slight sweet and nutty taste. Although this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it’s a very good thing!
Why? Because the mellow flavor of the noodles takes on the flavor of whatever sauce you serve with them.
ALSO, making spaghetti squash in an Instant Pot (versus the oven) cooks it to al dente. That is the preferred way to enjoy spaghetti/pasta, am I right? Just a little bit of a bite rather one big soggy pile of squash.
How to Make It – Recipe Video
Remember how easy I said this is to make? I’m not joking at all.
Check out my ONE MINUTE video. I’m telling you, it’s impossible to mess this recipe up! Even if you make it in the oven it’s easy.
- Slice the squash in half horizontally.
For spaghetti squash in the oven, you’ll need to remove the seeds before you bake the squash.
Making it in a pressure cooker is a bit easier, because you can cook it first, and then remove the seeds.
- Pressure cook for 17 minutes (quick release) or oven bake for 30.
Either way, it’s pretty quick and super easy to make, right?
For the instant pot: Add broth or water into the pot, then place a trivet inside for the squash to rest on. Place the squash cut side up onto the trivet. If the spaghetti squash is too large to fit that way, just place on of them on its side (see the photo above).
For the oven: Place the squash cut side down into a baking dish and pour water or broth around it.
- Use a fork or spoon to remove the “noodles”, and transfer to a bowl.
At this point, you can give them a simple drizzle of oil and some salt and pepper and you’re ready to serve!
OR, get creative and serve it as a main dish… paleo pasta, comin’ up!
Spaghetti squash noodles are delicious on their own, and of course, with a simple drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, they make a fantastic side dish!
If you serve them without any sauce, the noodles are wholesome, nourishing, and safe for just about every diet. No changes or substitutes needed! It fits naturally into these eating plans:
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- Low carb
- Dairy free
- Nut free
- Nightshade free
Because we’re in nightshade free recipes month, it’s probably a great time to mention that nomato sauce is a great choice. Tomato sauce without tomatoes? Yes, please! It tastes like marinara sauce- promise!
For a little extra protein, make a few sweet and spicy meatballs, vegan mushroom meatballs, or any of my other meatball recipes to serve with the nomato sauce. Or this keto sausage alfredo sauce would be delicious, too.
You could always add cooked chicken or turkey with it too. Like I said, VERSATILE!
Other sauces to serve with Instant Pot spaghetti squash
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (Anti Inflammatory Recipe)
- Walnut Sauce (Keto Option)
- Cashew Cream Sauce (Vegan)
So, now you know the secret to a super quick, super easy, no-fail side dish or dinner. The question is,
What sauce do you like with your Instant Pot spaghetti squash?
Come on… don’t be shy. Leave me a comment below!
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash is a nutritious paleo pasta substitute, and delicious with any sauce. Make this recipe in a pressure cooker or an oven. Then, serve it with your favorite pasta sauce for an easy weeknight dinner or the perfect easy side dish.
- 1 cup water or broth
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
See notes for sauce ideas!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Set a trivet into the Instant Pot, then add broth/water.
- Use a serrated knife or Chef’s knife to cut the squash in half horizontally. Place squash cut side down on trivet. Note If your squash is too large for both pieces to sit cut side down, turn them on their sides. Don’t overlap or stack them.
- Close lid and pressure cook on high for 17-18 minutes, then perform a quick release.
- Use hot pads to carefully remove squash from Instant Pot. One half at a time, scoop and discard the seeds, then scoop out the insides into a large pot or serving bowl. Toss with salt and pepper and serve as desired. (suggestions in notes below)
- Cut squash in half horizontally, then scoop and discard seeds.
- Place squash cut side down in a baking pan and add in 1/2 cup water or broth.
- Bake at 400°F. for 30 minutes.
- Serving suggestion: Toss with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and serve with 1 cup nightshade free nomato sauce and crumbled feta or shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh basil
- If a nightshade free option isn’t necessary, serve with pasta sauce of choice.
- Refrigerate cooked squash tossed in oil but without sauce and use within 1 week.
- Category: side dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot spaghetti squash, paleo pasta, low carb pasta, nightshade free, gluten free, vegan, Whole30
Join Robinhood with my link and we’ll both get a free stock https://join.robinhood.com/antonih1183
Save 25% off your first order on regularly priced items with code NEWPSP25 at PsPrint.com! Be sure to use the code NEWPSP25!
10% off Promotional Products! *Other restrictions may apply Be sure to use the code MD260!