Once you’ve made Instant Pot lasagna, you’ll never make traditional lasagna again.
Super cheesy with spicy sausage and layers of noodles. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
You’ll find this is the ultimate family dinner with a minimum of fuss. So good!
How to make the best Instant Pot lasagna
Equipment: This lasagna is made with a 7×3-inch springform pan.
The pan helps keeps everything tidy and prevents the lasagna from falling apart.
1. First, you want to cook your ground meat or sausage.
Turn the pressure cooker to Sauté and let it heat up for a couple of minutes. Then add a teaspoon of olive oil and the beef or sausage.
While the meat is cooking, break it up with a wooden spoon or oven-safe spoon.
2. Add seasoning, garlic, salt, and diced onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
3. Remove the browned meat from the pressure cooker using a slotted spoon. Turn the Instant Pot off.
4. Pour in a cup of water into the Instant Pot to scrape off any browned bits of meat with a spoon or spatula.
5. Then place the trivet with handles inside the Instant Pot.
7. In another bowl, mix together your favorite pasta sauce, the seasoning, and the parsley flakes.
You can use homemade pasta sauce or your favorite jarred marinara sauce from the store.
8. In a 7×3-inch springform pan that’s been coated with cooking spray, start layering your lasagna no-boil noodles with a thin layer of sauce.
9. If needed, break up lasagna no-boil noodles to fit, and cover the sauce.
10. Spread half the cheese mixture. Then sprinkle with half the meat mixture.
11. Cover the meat layer with some sauce. Then sprinkle with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
12. Repeat layers to the top of the pan. Then cover the top of the springform pan with aluminum foil.
13 Place the lasagna pan on an aluminum foil “sling” or handle to easily lower and lift the lasagna pan out of Instant Pot without burning your hands.
Then place the lasagna on the trivet inside the cooker.
How long do you cook the lasagna?
1. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and set it to High pressure to cook for 22 minutes.
Then do a 15-minute natural pressure release.
Finally, do a quick release to let off any remaining steam.
2. Remove the lasagna pan from the Instant Pot. Then remove foil from the top. Place it on a cookie sheet or large plate.
Let it sit for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and serving.
3. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What noodles do you use in this Instant Pot lasagna recipe?
Use oven-ready lasagna noodles for this lasagna recipe. Don’t use regular lasagna noodles as they won’t work.
- Heartland Gluten Free Oven Ready Lasagna
- Barilla Gluten Free Pasta, Oven-Ready Lasagne – my personal favorite
- Le Veneziane Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets – instead of strips, these pasta strips are approximately 3″ x 6 1/4″. You can easily break them to fit the pan.
What kind of meat or sausage?
You can use lean ground beef, ground turkey, or even some ground chicken.
Another option I love is mild or spicy Italian sausage. I like making my own using this easy Homemade Italian sausage recipe.
Can I add some veggies to this?
You can also add a layer of baby spinach leaves between the other layers.
Can I make this a vegetarian lasagna?
Of course this easily can be turned into a vegetarian lasagna!
Instead of using sausage, ground beef, turkey, or chicken, use vegetables. Just substitute them in the steps where you’d use meat.
Just cook up the vegetables like you would the meat or sausage.
Can I use different cheeses?
If you like, you can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta.
However, you MUST drain it over a fine-mesh strainer lined a cheesecloth for a few hours before using it in the cheese layer. (In a pinch, you can use a coffee filter or a clean tea towel.)
You have to get that extra moisture out of the cottage cheese. If you don’t, your lasagna will fall apart and you’ll end up with a mess once you take it out of the pan.
Also, if you wish you can use Mozzarella cheese instead of or in addition to Parmesan.
Time-saving tip: use frozen vegetables since they’re already cleaned and cut. Defrost in the microwave for a few minutes until they’re soft.
Then sauté the vegetables until they’re a bit caramelized or browned for a nice flavor.
How to make Instant Pot lasagna without a springform pan
Well, you don’t have to make it in a pan. Then it’s called lasagna soup and while delicious, it’s a sloppy mess, lol.
Instead, please dig out that 7×3-inch springform cake pan from out of the back of the closet.
Don’t have a pan? Please buy one because it’s worth the investment. You’ll be making this delicious lasagna often. And then you can make some fun cheesecakes with it, too!
And don’t try this with a 2-inch high pan. It’s too much food and it just won’t work.
Can you freeze Instant Pot lasagna?
Then you have a lovely freezer meal ready to go during a week when you’re too busy to cook.
Of course, you can also freeze any leftover lasagna in freezer Ziploc bags or freezer safe containers.
Here’s how to freeze the entire lasagna:
Cool: Wait for it to cool. (You can cover the pan in foil and place it in the refrigerator.)
Freeze: Then cover the top with some plastic wrap. Freeze overnight so it’s nicely frozen.
Then remove the lasagna from the pan. If it’s too frozen to budge, leave it out on the counter for 10-15 minutes for the outside to thaw a bit.
Wrap: Wrap the frozen lasagna in plastic wrap (pressing out any extra air) and then the foil.
Label and date the lasagna. It should be good for at least three months in the freezer.
Freezing individual pieces: If you wish, you can also cut up the cooled (not frozen) lasagna into individual pieces (or any leftovers) and place these into freezer-safe containers or Ziploc freezer bags.
(I’d go with the bags since you can press out any extra air to avoid freezer burn.)
How do you thaw and reheat frozen lasagna?
Thaw the frozen lasagna in the refrigerator overnight.
Cut into individual servings. Then heat for a couple of minutes in the microwave.
More terrific Instant Pot dishes
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork – AMAZING! makes the best BBQ sandwiches
- Instant Pot Vegetable Soup – the perfect soup for a cold night
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast – don’t wait for Thanksgiving, this is terrific any time of the year!
- Instant Pot Meatballs – this would go well with the lasagna, so make these first!
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken – a tasty Asian inspired dish
- Instant Pot Chicken and Rice – with peas and carrots
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken – terrific when you want leftovers for other dishes, like sandwiches
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes – the only way to make this side dish
- Cooking spray
- 6-8 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef OR ground Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups Ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté and let heat for a couple of minutes. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and either ground beef or ground sausage. Brown and break up meat.
- Add in 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt, and diced onion.
- Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Remove the cooked meat from the pressure cooker using a slotted spoon and turn the Instant Pot off.
- Pour in 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot Inner Pan and scrape any browned bits of meat with a spoon or spatula.
- Add in the trivet with handles to the Instant Pot.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and grated Parmesan cheese.
- In a separate bowl mix together the marinara sauce, seasoning, and parsley flakes.
- In a 7×3-inch springform pan, start layering your lasagna with a thin layer of sauce.
- Break up lasagna noodles to fit and cover the sauce.
- Spread half the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle with half the meat mixture.
- Cover the meat layer with the sauce and then sprinkle with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers to the top of the pan.
- Cover the top of the pan with foil.
- Place the lasagna pan on a tin foil “sling” to help lower and lift lasagna pan out of Instant Pot. Then place the lasagna pan on the trivet inside the pressure cooker.
- Place the lid on the cooker. Set it to High, cook for 22 minutes. Do a natural release for 15 minutes. Then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lasagna pan from the Instant Pot. Then remove foil from the top.
- Place it on a cookie sheet or large plate. Let it sit for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 520Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 839mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.