A coconut curry chicken soup in a flavorful blend of tangy Indian and Thai curry spices, chicken, rice, ginger and lime that can help reduce inflammation and heal the body and soul. Even my kids love this healthy soup!
WHY THIS HEALTHY CHICKEN CURRY SOUP WORKS
Indian spices and Thai curry recipes are one of the most powerful types of foods to eat to help reduce inflammation and ease joint pain and arthritis pain thanks to the magic of turmeric and ginger. This soup can help detox the liver, improve skin health, boosts the immune system and helps support weight loss. We are swooning over this chicken curry soup just as much as these other recipes that also have these healing benefits like: healing vegetarian rice soup, curry rice vegetable bowl, turmeric lemonade, turmeric overnight oats, and golden milk tea.
This soup is incredibly mouthwatering, full of robust flavors, low fat ingredients (even while using a coconut milk base), and it is easy to make using wholesome vegetable-packed ingredients. It is blend of Indian and Thai spices – all which make this curry soup fantastic! You can learn more about the difference between Thai (curry) and Indian (masala) spices and the difference here, but in a nutshell Indian spices use masala which is sweeter and made without turmeric and Thai uses turmeric based spices that are less sweet. Honestly, I had to research it first but I mixed the flavors and it won our family over!
WHAT INGREDIENTS GO INTO THIS ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SOUP
- Full fat canned coconut milk. Do not use lite, use full fat coconut milk for this recipe. I found when I use lite it tends to curdle a bit if the heat gets too high and makes the soup slightly watery and creamier when using whole coconut milk.
- Vegetable or chicken broth which adds a bonus amount of plant-based nutrients
- Seasonings of turmeric, salt, pepper, garam masala, garlic, fresh lemon grass, fresh cilantro and an optional dash of chili powder.
- Dash of sugar to cut any bitterness – I like to use monk fruit or Xylitol, but coconut sugar can also be used.
- Vegetables: onion, chard or kale, celery, carrots.
- Lime juice for bold zesty flavor!
- Fresh ginger which is great for digestion and adds beautiful flavor.
- White rice for hearty texture.
HOW TO MAKE THIS COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP
Prepare by cooking a chicken breast in the oven at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until it is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Slice and chop it into cubes; or use leftover grilled chicken or a rotisserie. If the chicken is very thick, slice it in half horizontally first so you have two thinner slices.
Chop and prepare all of the vegetables. In a large pot add the onion, celery, carrots, chard, coconut milk, vegetable broth, lemon grass, garlic, turmeric, garam masala, fresh ginger, salt and pepper and cook on medium-high heat until it starts to bubble on the sides. Turn the heat down to a simmer. Add the rice, then cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Add the lime juice, cooked chicken and cilantro. Serve into 4 bowls and garnish with a dash of chili powder per liking.
To get this meal on the table faster, cook the chicken and chop the vegetables the day before. You can also use rice that is already cooked. If using precooked rice, add it in during the last 5 minutes of heating with lime juice and cilantro.
Yes, you can make this rice soup vegetarian by swapping out the chicken for 1 can of chickpeas. Rinse and drain the beans first before adding them to the soup, and also make sure to use vegetable broth.
Using cauliflower rice is an excellent substitution for rice in ethnic foods. Instead of white or brown rice, add 4 cups of cauliflower rice to the soup 15 minutes before serving to cook the vegetable.
If you make this Indian and Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup with Rice recipe from Delightful Mom Food I would love to see your creations! Follow along with me on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and TWITTER and tag me to be featured and for more recipe inspiration! And don’t forget to rate the recipe in the recipe area and leave a comment below!
Curry Chicken Soup With Rice
- 1 15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups broth chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups chard stems removed and chopped (or kale with stems removed and chopped)
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 sticks lemon grass
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar Monk fruit, Xylitol or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup white rice uncooked
- 2 limes juice of
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- chili powder optional for a bit of kick
If you need to cook the chicken: Prepare by cooking a chicken breast on a sheet pan in the oven at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until the center is cooked through and no longer pink. If the chicken is very thick, slice it in half horizontally to have thinner slices. Dice into cubes or shred the chicken; or use leftover grilled chicken or a rotisserie.
Chop all of the vegetables and in a large pot add the onion, celery, carrots, chard, coconut milk, broth, lemon grass, garlic, sugar, turmeric, garam masala, fresh ginger, salt and pepper and cook on medium-high heat until it starts to bubble on the sides. Turn the heat down to a simmer. Add the rice then cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Add the lime juice, cooked chicken, and cilantro.
Serve into 4 bowls and optional to garnish with a bit of chili powder.
- You can also use chopped kale in place of the chard.
- Make this coconut chicken curry soup grain-free: Using cauliflower rice is an excellent substitution for rice in ethnic foods. Instead of white or brown rice, add 4 cups of cauliflower rice to the soup 15 minutes before serving to cook the vegetable.
Join Robinhood with my link and we’ll both get a free stock https://join.robinhood.com/antonih1183
Save 25% off your first order on regularly priced items with code NEWPSP25 at PsPrint.com! Be sure to use the code NEWPSP25!
10% off Promotional Products! *Other restrictions may apply Be sure to use the code MD260!