You won’t believe how easy this pressure cooker Instant Pot ham recipe is. All you need is a few ingredients to make a delicious holiday ham.
This comes with three fantastic recipes for easy-to-make homemade glaze:
- brown sugar glaze for ham,
- maple syrup glaze for ham, and
- coca-cola glaze for ham with a low-carb, keto-friendly alternative.
What kind of ham should I cook in my Instant Pot?
Believe it or not, there’s more than you might that goes into choosing a flavorful ham.
If you’re cooking a ham in the Instant Pot, you should buy a precooked and cured ham at the grocery store. This is also called a “city ham.” A spiral cut ham is a type of city ham.
This differs from “country” or fresh hams, which aren’t precooked and cured.
Bone-in or boneless? You can choose either boneless ham or bone-in ham. Boneless hams are much simpler to carve. But the bone within bone-in hams provides more flavor and texture. (You can also use the leftover ham bone in split pea soup.)
You can use either bone-in or boneless in Instant Pot Ham.
Shank-end or butt-end ham? Butt-end hams are fattier and are usually cheaper. I think they make for a juicy ham, probably due to all that fat, go figure.
Shank-end hams are leaner and easier to carve. However, they may be more expensive. Both will work well in your Instant Pot.
How much should the ham weigh?
This is an important step when cooking a ham in an Instant Pot! The size of your Instant Pot will determine how much ham can fit inside.
A 6-quart Instant Pot holds a 5 to 6 pound ham.
An 8-quart Instant Pot holds a larger ham, up to 8 pounds.
For the meal, plan on about 1 pound per person and you should have more than enough.
Cooking a ham in an Instant Pot
Cooking a ham in an Instant Pot is a little different than prepping it in a slow cooker or crockpot, but it’s still a lot easier than using your oven.
It’s also an extremely quick process. It’s almost impossible to dry out ham in an Instant Pot, so long as you follow these directions!
What equipment do you need?
Here’s what you’ll need to make your Instant Pot recipe a success:
● An Instant Pot. Make sure it’s big enough for your ham, as stated above.
● A meat thermometer. Not entirely necessary, but extremely helpful to measure whether or not your pressure cooker ham is done.
● Aluminum foil. You’ll use this to keep the ham’s moisture in, as well as to pull the ham out of the Instant Pot by using it as a sling.
How to cook a ham in an Instant Pot:
Using your pressure cooker is the best way to save on oven space during holiday cooking. This is so delicious that you’ll never order an overpriced honey baked ham for your holiday meal again.
1. Place the trivet in the Instant Pot’s inner pot.
2. Place a piece of foil to act as a sling at the bottom of the trivet.
3. Wrap the ham in aluminum foil, creating a bowl shape around the meat.
4. Glaze the ham using one of the three glazes – brown sugar, maple syrup, or coca-cola (with a low carb, keto-friendly alternative!)
5. Finish wrapping the ham in foil and place it at the bottom of the Instant Pot.
6. Use the “Pressure Cook” setting on High pressure to cook for at least 10 minutes plus 2 minutes per pound.
The cook time for a 6 pound ham is 10 minutes + 12 minutes, so 22 minutes. Remember there’s additional time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
7. After cooking the ham, do a natural release. This can take up to 30 minutes.
8. Check that the ham reached an internal temperature of 145°F.
9. Remove the ham from the trivet using the foil sling.
10. Serve immediately with your favorite side dishes.
The best ham glaze recipes
No ham is complete without a glaze! Here are few simple glaze recipes that will bring your delicious ham dinner to the next level.
● The Brown Sugar Ham Glaze is the easiest and most well-known ham glaze.
● The Maple Syrup Ham Glaze is another well-known ham glaze. It’s a bit sweeter than the brown sugar glaze and also works well on poultry.
● If you need a truly easy, no-fuss glaze, the Coca-Cola Ham Glaze recipe is your answer.
If you’re looking for a low carb, keto-friendly glaze, try Coke Zero and Swerve Sweetener, Brown. Swerve is a terrific no-calorie, natural sweetener with no bitter aftertaste.
How to serve spiral ham
Serve the ham with typical holiday recipes like:
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Rice Stuffing Recipe with Cranberries, Squash & Dates
- Crock-Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Parsnips
- Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce
- Marinated Asparagus
- Cornbread Recipe with Rosemary
- Super Cheesy Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes
Serve this crockpot ham recipe at Sunday afternoon sports watching parties, brunches, and other special occasions, too!
What to do with leftover ham
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. (Or freeze some for later in freezer bags.)
Here are some ideas of what to do with leftover holiday ham:
Serve the sliced ham on hamburger buns with BBQ sauce.
Use the leftover ham in breakfast casseroles, bean soup, and this Mac & Cheese Casserole Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Ham.
1 hour 37 minutes
Ingredients for the Instant Pot Ham Recipe:
- 6 pound, precooked and cured ham (bone-in or boneless)
- Glaze ingredients (pick one – see below)
Ingredients for the Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange or pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of cinnamon
Ingredients for Maple Syrup Ham Glaze
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered mustard
Ingredients for Coca Cola Ham Glaze
- 1 cup brown sugar or Swerve Sweetener, Brown
- 1 cup cola or Coke Zero
Directions for the Instant Pot Ham Recipe:
- Place trivet in the Instant Pot’s inner pot.
- Place a piece of foil to act as a sling at the bottom of the trivet.
- Wrap ham in aluminum foil, creating a bowl shape around the meat.
- Glaze the ham.
- Finish wrapping the ham in foil and place it at the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Use the “Pressure Cook” setting on High to cook for at least 10 minutes plus 2 minutes per pound.
- Let the pressure release naturally after cooking.
- Check that your ham has reached an internal temperature of 145°F.
- Remove the ham from the trivet using the foil sling and serve immediately.
Directions for the Maple Syrup Ham Glaze:
- Bring ingredients to a boil on medium-high heat until thickened enough to pour onto the ham.
Directions for the Maple Syrup Ham Glaze:
- Mix all ingredients together and use on the ham immediately. You can optionally add rosemary or other herbs to this glaze recipe.
Directions for Coca Cola Ham Glaze:
- Stir all ingredients together and use on the ham immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 911Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 241mgSodium: 5875mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 83g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.